To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox day by day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe right here.
Glad Friday! Haje is having fun with some down time on the East Coast, so I’m working solo. As you may see from the not-so-surprising transfer by Elon Musk final night time and the sheer variety of Twitter tales from our fabulous client tech crew as we speak, it has been all Twitter, all day. We promise to offer you just a little little bit of that, in fact, and just a little of what else we’ve been engaged on. Let’s dive in, we could? — Christine
The TechCrunch Prime 3
- Flying the general public coop: Now that Elon Musk owns Twitter, its days are numbered as a public firm. In actual fact, Ivan writes, Twitter shall be delisted on November 8 — voting day for the U.S. midterm elections.
- Caging the chook: Over to Europe, the place just some hours into truly proudly owning Twitter, Musk already discovered himself on the fallacious finish of European Union officers, who corrected him after he tweeted about how free he thinks Twitter is now. Natasha L has extra.
- Huge Tweet Chief: Experiences now say that Musk will take the CEO function for himself, Ivan writes, after he ousted Twitter’s 4 prime executives, as reported by Amanda.
For extra information on the blue chook, head right down to the Huge Tech Inc. part, the place we now have you coated.
Startups and VC
Sadly, the hits maintain coming for 54gene, an African genomics startup targeted on offering extra African genetic materials to pharmaceutical analysis — there’s simply 3% now, Tage studies. After some months of layoffs and a CEO exit, the corporate confirmed that it not solely made one more spherical of layoffs — this time of 100 folks — nevertheless it additionally slashed its valuation by over $100 million.
And we now have three extra for you:
- Robotic riot: Galen Robotics has a brand new robotic that may help with ear, nostril and throat surgical procedures. Oh, and it secured $15 million in new funding, Andrew studies.
- Comply with the yellow brick street: Recreation studio Hidden Door is utilizing narrative AI to show fiction into immersive role-playing experiences, and Rebecca writes it’s testing out “The Wizard of Oz.”
- Does anybody else use this phrase?: I used to be delighted to see that there’s a firm named Skidattl. The corporate is utilizing augmented actuality to point out customers what individuals are doing round them, in what Rebecca writes is “like a Bat-Sign for enjoyable.”
5 methods biotech startups can mitigate threat to develop sustainably in the long term
Because of R&D and medical trials, life science startups have lengthy lead occasions earlier than they’ll carry their capital-intensive merchandise to market.
“However,” asks Omar Khalil, a accomplice at Santé Ventures, “what occurs when the funding out of the blue dries up?”
In a visitor publish for TC+, he shares 5 methods for biotech startups which might be making an attempt to remain heat by means of the winter forward.
“It’s nonetheless too early to know whether or not it is a short-term correction, or if it’s a brand new regular that shall be maintained for the foreseeable future.”
Three extra from the TC+ crew:
TechCrunch+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup groups get forward of the pack. You may join right here. Use code “DC” for a 15% low cost on an annual subscription!
Huge Tech Inc.
As promised, we now have much more Twitter information so that you can take pleasure in. As I write this, a number of of my colleagues hopped on Twitter Areas to speak about all this. One of many newest bits of reports from Taylor was that Elon Musk was forming a content material moderation “council” to make sure choices — for instance, about account reinstatements for, cough, Donald Trump. Right here’s two extra:
Catching you up on extra earnings studies:
And we now have 4 extra for you: