It is a collaborative submit from Databricks and Microsoft. We thank Mahesh Prakriya (Director in Intelligence Platform, Microsoft) and Bob Zhang (Sr. Technical Program Supervisor, Microsoft) for his or her contributions.
We’re excited to announce the supply of native queries within the Databricks Energy BI Connector within the newest launch of Energy BI! Native question assist has been one of the often requested options for the connector since its launch. With this new functionality, clients can now entry knowledge in Databricks SQL and construct knowledge fashions with elevated flexibility and productiveness. Prospects can specify native SQL queries as a part of establishing their knowledge sources. Any question specified right here shall be executed natively in opposition to Databricks SQL earlier than additional steps in Energy BI.
Why native SQL?
Flexibility with advanced transformations
Native SQL additionally gives flexibility for customers to select and select their supreme software for a given transformation. DAX is expressive and highly effective, however for extra advanced SQL queries or unsupported operations, utilizing native SQL question permits an easier workflow. This additionally gives an enormous profit for instances the place customized column definitions can’t be folded/pushed down – simply construct them within the native SQL.
Take higher benefit of Databricks SQL compute scale
With native SQL assist, clients can now carry out bigger operations and compute intensive preparation queries in opposition to a Databricks SQL Warehouse immediately as a part of establishing a knowledge supply. Particularly for extra advanced transformations this might save a substantial period of time. Additionally, analysts can self-service with out having to create Views or different constructs inside Databricks for easier workflows.
Less complicated migrations from different Energy Question sources
For patrons who already use customized/native SQL with different knowledge sources in Energy BI, migrating to Databricks SQL was cumbersome. The answer till now was to map this to Views in Databricks or try and do the logic in DAX. Now this is so simple as specifying the related native SQL question on Databricks Energy BI connector.
Easy methods to get began?
You want the next to get began
- Energy BI December 2022 Launch (v2.112.603.0 or later)
- A Databricks account (enroll right here if you don’t have already got an account)
Open Energy BI Desktop and observe the directions:
- Discover “Azure Databricks” or “Databricks” datasource from Energy BI “Get Information” menu.
- Fill in Server and Catalog particulars within the connection dialog.
- Enter the native SQL question you’d wish to submit. On this case:
SELECT * FROM tpch.area r the place r.r_regionkey = 0
Observe that to make use of the native question characteristic, the catalog area is required and have to be supplied, and the native question needs to be written to be relative to the supplied catalog.
- When you authenticate, you’re prepared to question! Each Direct Question or Import modes are supported.
- (Optionally available) Open the question utilizing Energy BI Superior Question Editor, so you possibly can see the native question and when you like you possibly can modify the question from right here and reserve it.