AWS Utility Migration Service (AWS MGN) can simplify and expedite your migration to AWS by robotically changing your supply servers from bodily, digital, or cloud infrastructure to run natively on AWS. Within the submit, Tips on how to Use the New AWS Utility Migration Server for Carry-and-Shift Migrations, Channy launched us to Utility Migration Service and how one can get began.
By utilizing Utility Migration Service for migration, you may reduce time-intensive, error-prone guide processes by automating replication and conversion of your supply servers from bodily, digital, or cloud infrastructure to run natively on AWS. Final 12 months, we launched main enhancements similar to new migration servers grouping, an account-level launch template, and a post-launch actions template.
At present, I’m happy to announce three main updates of Utility Migration Service. Right here’s the fast abstract for every function launch:
- Import and export – Now you can use Utility Migration Service to import your supply setting stock record to the service from a CSV file. You can even export your supply server stock for reporting functions, offline opinions and updates, integration with different instruments and AWS providers, and performing bulk configuration modifications by reimporting the stock record.
- Server migration metrics dashboard – This new dashboard can assist simplify migration mission administration by offering an aggregated view of the migration lifecycle standing of your supply servers
- Further post-launch modernization actions – On this replace, Utility Migration Service added eight further predefined post-launch actions. These actions are utilized to your migrated purposes if you launch them on AWS.
Let me share how you need to use these options in your migration.
Import and Export
Earlier than we go additional into the import and export options, let’s talk about two ideas inside Utility Migration Service: purposes and waves, which you’ll be able to outline when migrating with Utility Migration Service. Purposes characterize a gaggle of servers. By utilizing purposes, you may outline teams of servers and determine them as an utility. Inside your utility, you may carry out varied actions with Utility Migration Service, similar to monitoring, specifying tags, and performing bulk operations, for instance, launching check situations. Moreover, you may group your purposes into waves, which characterize a gaggle of servers which are migrated collectively, as a part of your migration plan.
With the import function, now you can import your stock record in CSV kind into Utility Migration Service. This makes it straightforward so that you can handle giant scale-migrations, and ingest your stock of supply servers, purposes and waves, together with their attributes.
To begin utilizing the import function, I must determine my servers and utility stock. I can do that manually, or utilizing discovery instruments. The following factor I must do is obtain the import template which I can entry from the console.
After I downloaded the import template, I can begin mapping from my stock record into this template. Whereas mapping my stock, I can group associated servers into purposes and waves. I can even carry out configurations, similar to defining Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) launch template settings, and specifying tags for every wave.
The next screenshot is an instance of the outcomes of my import template:
The following step is to add my CSV file to an Amazon Easy Storage Service (Amazon S3) bucket. Then, I can begin the import course of from the Utility Migration Service console by referencing the CSV file containing my stock record that I’ve uploaded to the S3 bucket.
When the import course of is full, I can see the main points of the import outcomes.
I can import stock for servers that don’t have an agent put in, or haven’t but been found by agentless replication. Nevertheless, to duplicate information, I want to make use of agentless replication, or set up the AWS Replication Agent on my supply servers.
Now I can view all my stock contained in the Supply servers, Purposes and Waves pages on the Utility Migration Service console. The next is a screenshot for just lately imported waves.
As well as, with the export function, I can export my supply servers, purposes, and waves together with all configurations that I’ve outlined right into a CSV file.
That is useful if you wish to do reporting or offline opinions, or for bulk enhancing earlier than reimporting the CSV file into Utility Migration Service.
Server Migration Metrics Dashboard
We beforehand supported a migration metrics dashboard for purposes and waves. On this launch, we now have particularly added a migration metrics dashboard for servers. Now you may view aggregated overviews of your server’s migration course of on the Utility Migration Service dashboard. Three matters can be found within the migration metrics dashboard:
- Alerts – Reveals related alerts for respective servers.
- Knowledge replication standing – Reveals the replication information overview standing for supply servers. Right here, you get a fast overview of the lifecycle standing of the replication information course of.
- Migration lifecycle – Reveals an summary of the migration lifecycle from supply servers.
Further Predefined Submit-launch Modernization Actions
Submit-launch actions help you management and automate actions carried out after your servers have been launched in AWS. You should utilize predefined or use customized post-launch actions.
Utility Migration Service now has eight further predefined post-launch actions to run in your EC2 situations on high of the present 4 predefined post-launch actions. These further post-launch actions give you flexibility to maximise your migration expertise.
The brand new further predefined post-launch actions are as follows:
- Convert MS-SQL license – You’ll be able to simply convert Home windows MS-SQL BYOL to an AWS license utilizing the Home windows MS-SQL license conversion motion. The launch course of contains checking the SQL version (Enterprise, Normal, or Internet) and utilizing the fitting AMI with the fitting billing code.
- Create AMI from occasion – You’ll be able to create a brand new Amazon Machine Picture (AMI) out of your Utility Migration Service launched occasion.
- Improve Home windows model – This function lets you simply improve your migrated server to Home windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, 2019, or 2022. You’ll be able to see the total record of accessible OS variations on AWSEC2-CloneInstanceAndUpgradeWindows web page.
- Conduct EC2 connectivity checks – You’ll be able to conduct community connectivity checks to a predefined record of ports and hosts utilizing the EC2 connectivity test function.
- Validate quantity integrity – You should utilize this function to make sure that Amazon Elastic Block Retailer (Amazon EBS) volumes on the launched occasion are the identical dimension because the supply, correctly mounted on the EC2 occasion, and accessible.
- Confirm course of standing – You’ll be able to validate the method standing to make sure that processes are in a working state after occasion launch. You will have to offer an inventory of processes that you just wish to confirm and specify how lengthy the service ought to wait earlier than testing begins. This function helps you to do the wanted validations robotically and saves time by not having to do them manually.
- CloudWatch agent set up – Use the Amazon CloudWatch agent set up function to put in and arrange the CloudWatch agent and Utility Insights options.
- Be part of Listing Service area – You’ll be able to simplify the AWS be a part of area course of through the use of this function. Should you select to activate this motion, your occasion will likely be managed by the AWS Cloud Listing (as an alternative of on premises).
Issues to Know
Take note the next:
- Up to date UI/UX – We now have up to date the person interface with card structure and desk structure view for the motion record on the Utility Migration Service console. This replace lets you decide which post-launch actions are appropriate in your use case . We now have additionally added filter choices to make it straightforward to search out related actions by working system, class, and extra.
- Help for extra OS variations – Utility Migration Service now helps CentOS 5.5 and later and Pink Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5.5 and later working methods.
- Availability – These options can be found now, and you can begin utilizing them as we speak in all Areas the place Utility Migration Service is supported.
Get Began At present
Go to the Utility Migration Service Person Information web page to be taught extra about these options and perceive the pricing. You can even go to Getting began with AWS Utility Migration Service to be taught extra about how one can get began emigrate your workloads.